Frame-by-Frame (Classic) Animation Technique
Let’s remember Mickey Mouse on “Willie`s Steamer”, exquisitely Snowwhite, and funny Pinocchio. These characters have won the love of children from all over the world. Million people of the Earth were inspirited by these personages. Do you know what these different characters have in common? They are were created by a young talented cartoonist from Los Angeles. He was the first artist who created a movie with synchronous sound. That was a great revolutionary cartoonist Walt Disney.
In every one of these movies was used the frame-by-frame technique. It’s also called classical or hand-drawn animation. That all names have the same sense.
What is frame-by-frame technique?
Frame-by-frame animation is the most painstaking technology of all. The specific of this method can be seen from its own title. In this technique when in which, each frame is drawn. Video animation created by this technique can consist of hundreds or even thousands of frames. Each frame is created separately by artists. The making movie by this technique is laborious that is admirable. Earlier all cartoons were made by it.
Characteristic of frame-by-frame
Frame-by-frame animation can be made by hand-drawn or by computer. The principle still the same. Classic animation the most reliable way to keep moving images on any medium.
The numbers of frames are the same as the numbers of pictures, which will be used in the video. For one second in a cartoon, the animator has to create 24 frames. The more detailed the drawing made the smoother the movement of the character
It’s a hard job, and that is why often it’s done by several artists.
This technique takes more time, but the results look very effective. Thanks to this technology the characters look «alive». Every next frame is different from the previous one. Every next frame is a new pose and emotion on the face of the character. A lot of Disney’s films are created in this technology till nowadays!
This technology is applied in a variety of genres: from the simple short animation video to complicated dramatic explainers.
The main sense of it is dynamic and harmonious changes in each frame.
- It is giving artists control of full animation – helps to implement any movement more accurately.
- It is a fancy opportunity for creativity: to transfer lip movements. And this technique helps, for example, gives the nightstand or candlestick a bright emotion.
- It is a good way how to make the absolute image change harmoniously.
- It helps in creating characters more alive
- The wide range of options for its implementation, because classical animation depends on the skills and creativity of a particular artist.
- Time-consuming. Traditional animation takes more time than other types of animation.
- Correcting. Сorrecting some editions in classical animation requires the artist to repeat the entire drawing. It needs time.
- Cost for artists. This animation technique requires many special tools and special equipment for the production of a cartoon. Not every animation studio can afford it.
“Animation is different from other parts. Its language is the language of caricature. Our most difficult job was to develop the cartoon’s unnatural but seemingly natural anatomy for humans and animals.
Wow-How studio jewels
We all watched Disney’s films and everyone admired them. All of those beautiful scenes, pictures, character plastic, and history are what make a lasting impression on people’s hearts.
Here at Wow-How studio, we have a dream team of creative animators, illustrators, motion designers that are ready to take part in creating big projects of animated films or series on outsourcing. In Wow-how studio we have specialists who work precisely in a frame-by-frame animation. That immerses the viewers in the magical realm of animation. We believe in the power of animation. It is obvious, animated videos are better remembered.