3D modeling, texturing, and 3D printing are all extremely popular nowadays because such technologies are becoming ever more available now. Creation of 3D models is quite a difficult and painstaking process, based on using of professional programs for 3D graphics creation. Realism of the finished model depends on texture for materials development and the very technique selected. The texture is a pixel image, which is laid on the ready polygonal model (on UV map) made in the graphics program with can give it a color, reflection parameter, refraction parameter, specify index of refraction (if you need), and relief or fake relief. Thus, texturing or mapping is one of the main stages of three-dimensional model creation, on which the modeled object should get some specific properties in order to make the model more realistic. The quality of surface texturing is defined by the quantity of texels, which is the number of pixels on one (minimal) unit of the texture. The determining factors of finished 3D graphics are the format of the textured image and resolution.
For What Aims Is Texturing Used?
There are several aims for which 3D texturing can be used. Let’s enumerate some of them:
- Material. The first and foremost aim of texture use is to show the material from which the real object is made. For example, to show bricks from which the wall is made in a computer game. Sometimes 3D texturing is used to show some definite physical light properties of the modeled object, for example, smoothness or roughness.
- Light effects. Using of texture allows making different light effects such as reflection, refraction, anisotropy and many others. And you can specify the parameters in not linear way (not physical corect) if you want.
- Small details. 3D texturing allows to create different fake small objects on the surface of the model, for example, wrinkles, scars, cracks, bumps and so on.
All in all, different types of textures and mapping are used to make the picture or 3D model more realistic and vivid. This process is very important for the creation of the amazing 3D model.
Types of Texture Mapping
There are two main types of mapping:
- Relief mapping
- MIP mapping.
MIP mapping (from Latin “multum in parvo” – many in small) is a way of mapping for which several copies of texture with different degree of detailing are used.
Relief mapping as a way of texturing is often subdivided into the following sorts:
- Bump mapping is a technology of creation of relief of the surface with full detailing of all design elements. As a rule, such effect is created with the help of the source of light and a single-channel black and white height map, with the help of which pixels are displaced virtually. This technique helps to make shaded parts and parts with different lightning. It is frequently used for creation of sharp hummocky surfaces, deep cavities or projections
- Normal mapping is a technology of changing a normal of a pixel on the basis of the chorochromatic map of normals in which changing data are saved as texels. In this method three texture channels are used on the map and thanks to them, it has a great accuracy
- Parallax occlusion mapping – a technology of arrays local routine which is used for the definition of visibility and texel heights. This technique allows to realize the even deeper height of relief but doesn’t give any opportunity of full detalization of facets.
Different types of mapping are used for different aims. Furthermore, there are many computer graphics programs and specialists working with texturing should have a great experience of work in this field. Looking for such experts? WOW HOW Studio is at your service!
3D Texturing by WOW HOW Studio
WOW HOW Studio is a creative team including 30 experts with more than 10-year experience. The studio includes professional graphic designers, visual artists, 3D modelers, video producers, animators, and project managers gathered together to make this world better. The company provides a broad range of services, including 3D texturing services. Our 3D modelers and 3D texture artists can work together to create a 3D model at the customer’s request, or a 3D texture artist may work with your own model making texturing only.
We provide all types of 3D texturing and have a great experience in this sphere. Our team has been working with different consumers all over the world, and our 3D artists have experience of working in different graphics programs by combining different approaches and types of mapping to make the future model perfect. We have already had many 3D modeling projects and got a plenty of enthusiastic feedbacks from our customers. Let’s make virtual models realistic together!